Saturday, November 27, 2010

Old pages

Was actually productive this week, but I think my computer is soon to shuffle off this mortal coil judging by the noises its making

Anywhoo...
Pretend old book pages - made by printing out text, staining the pages with tea, pressing them with phone books so they are smooth, lightboxing my sketches onto the page,  then inking them and highlighting with colour pencil - I had scanned in and printed a very light version of my sketch on the text page so I could ink it directly, but it faded to nothing when I stained it. Next time I'll pencil over it before staining, which eliminates the light box portion of the procedure - I'm also wondering how colour-fast the inkjet ink is - I'd imagine photocopying or laser jet might be a bit more durable. However quite fun for a first try.

The staining procedure is basically this one over at Propnomicon- and I used this  Lorum Ipsum generator to generate paragraphs of Latin text as well - the paper feels a bit crispy and old too after you soak it in tea which gives it a nice tactile feel.


2 comments:

  1. They look absolutely brilliant. I hope you are going to frame them and hang them o the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks - wish I knew if the text was going to fade out or not before I consider any of them for framing - might try some photocopied pages next.

    ReplyDelete